Dhokla is a famous vegetarian cuisine. It is very popular in the Indian state of Gujrat. Let me tell you how to make this famous Gujarati dhokla recipe at home that you enjoy outside. let’s see what ingredients we’ll need.
Let’s see what ingredient’s we’ll need to make dhokla at home.
Ingredients for Dhokla Recipe:
- 2 ½ cups of beasn (also known as gram flour)
- Fresh coriander leaves with me (this is for garnishing)
- Extracted lime juice from one lime
- Green chilies around 3 of them
- One tablespoon of salt
- 1 tablespoon of baking powder
- Some curry leaves for Traka
- ¼ teaspoon of baking soda
- 2 tablespoons of sugar
- Some mustard seeds
- Some water
- Olive oil (half a tablespoon for greasing the cooking bowl and around 2 tbsp for making the tarka or the sugar syrup)
Directions to Make Vegetarian Cuisine Dhokla :
- Add turmeric, salt, and lemon juice and a pinch of turmeric into the mixture, otherwise will look more yellowish.
- Add a Tablespoon of salt, lime juice and start adding a little water and make a smooth batter. Not runny, not thick.
- If your batter is thick, your dhokla will not fluff enough. Now we’ll see the smooth batter is ready. Keep it aside for 30 minutes.
- Slice green chili. Slit your chili from between and you will get two different parts of the green chili that we’ll be using in our tarka.
- Add a total of four spoons of olive oil or refined oil to your cooking bowl, and make sure you cook it first.
- Add mustard seeds. Once the mustard seeds cooked, add in curry leaves. Cook curry leaves till they are little brown and then add some water.
- Once the curry leaves cooked, add around 2 cups of water into the bowl, then add sugar and green chili.
- When the water is boiling, add the green chili and sugar. You can vary the quantity of sugar according to your choice of taste.
- Boil it for some time till the solution is a little thick. Not one thread consistency, just a little thick.
- Almost ready, just squeeze in a little lemon juice and it’s done. Now let’s keep it aside.
- Grease your cooking bowl, add one tablespoon of oil into it. With the help of your hands, grease it from all the sides and then we’ll invert our Dhokla mixture in it.
- Add baking powder, and a pinch of baking soda into the mixture and whisk them till they are all dissolved. You will see the mixture will start rising. (That’s because it already contains some lime juice and baking soda. Baking powder reacts with lime juice.)
- Pour this mixture into your greased bowl. Now cook it on a medium flame for 20 to 25 minutes. After 20 to 25 minutes, it is ready.
- Cool it for around 15 minutes, then cut our Dhokla in the desired shape.
- If you touch it by hand. You’ll feel it spongy and good in texture. With the help of a knife carefully remove it from the sides. You’ll see how fluffy it is and how spongy it is. That means our Dhokla is perfect.
- Take out the dhokla from the refrigerator after 15 minutes of cooling, cut into the desired shape. Add the sugar syrup to all the pieces, so it can absorb evenly. Add some coriander leaves at the top, these have to be a little fresh. again put it in the refrigerator for 15 minutes.
- Take out the dhokla from the refrigerator after 15 minutes and add the remaining syrup.
- Done! So here’s the final vegetarian cuisine Dhokla. It looks so tempting and it’s so spongy!