The potato pancakes recipe is most popular in many countries. Potato pancakes mainly originated in eastern European countries like Germany, Austria, Russia, and Poland as a side dish. Today, we’re going to make this traditional dish with cheese. Let’s see how to make potato pancakes.
Did you know? The potato pancakes recipe is documented in the early 14th century to celebrate Hanukkah. Let’s see what ingredients we’ll need.
Ingredients for Potato Pancakes with Cheese:
- 500 gram (1 pound) potato
- About 90 g (3/4 cup) all-purpose flour + flour for coating
- 4 g (1 tablespoon ) sugar
- Salt to taste
- Black pepper
- Mozzarella cheese or different cheese like Cheddar.
Directions to Make Potato Pancakes:
- Skin the potatoes and cut them into medium size pieces.
- Boil potato pieces in salted water until fork-tender.
- Mash potatoes instantly when still hot with a fork (or a potato ricer or a potato masher) till smooth and creamy.
- Add flour*, sugar, salt, pepper to the mashed potatoes and mix till getting a not-sticky and somewhat dry but soft mix.
- Don’t overmix or your mix could become too sticky.
- Next, use a 4cm-1,5inch ice cream scooper to take 2 scoops of mashed potato mix.
- Next, flour your hands to avoid sticking, and make a disc.
- Place about 1 tablespoon of chopped Mozzarella cheese in the center of the disc and roll to make a ball.
- Slightly flatten the ball, coat every side with some flour, and place on a dish lined with parchment paper or well floured to avoid sticking.
- Repeat the same process for the rest of the potatoes.
- Heat a large non-stick pan with about 2 tablespoons of vegetable oil (we used peanut Oil) and cook every side at medium heat for around 5 minutes or till evenly browned.
- Next, drain over a paper towel and serve instantly.
You can store it in the refrigerator for 2 days or in the freezer for up to 3 months.
You may add slightly more flour if your potatoes consume more water during the cooking time and if the dough is very sticky.
Also, Follow these Delicious Chocolate & Cakes Recipes:
Easy Homemade Chocolate Chip Cookies Recipe
Homemade Butter Cake Recipe Without Egg
Chocolate Peanut Butter Cookies Recipe
Best Homemade Chocolate Cake Recipe
How to make Oreo Cake at Home